Prepaid and Postpaid are the two basic connections provided by telecom service providers. But, both prepaid and postpaid have their own advantages and disadvantages. Thus, it is important to analyze both prepaid and postpaid connections and select the right connection for you.
You can purchase a New Prepaid or Postpaid connection as per your requirement. But, if you already have a Prepaid connection and now require a alternate connection, Here we provide details on how you can get a new Postpaid connection.
What is a Postpaid Connection?
In a postpaid connection, you can first enjoy the benefits and make payment for the bill at a later time. The billing cycle for the connection is monthly in common.
Thus, you make payment at the end of the month for the service utilized for the month. The important feature of the postpaid connection is the monthly bill is fixed irrespective of your consumption for the month.
But, to counter that the telecom service providers are providing additional benefits to the Postpaid customers than the prepaid customers.
Features of Postpaid Connection
The prepaid connection dominates the mobile network as it provides more options with plans that are affordable. However, a postpaid connection provides more features and benefits for the users compared to the prepaid plan in the same price range.
The following are the important features of a postpaid connection
- You can make a payment after utilizing the service and benefits.
- Some of the service providers require a security deposit for subscribing to the postpaid SIM.
- The billing cycle in most cases is fixed as monthly.
- Provides additional benefits like OTT platform subscription, More Data, and Talktime compared to the Prepaid connection of the same price.
- There are limited plans and options for subscription, thus you can select a better plan as per your requirement without deep research.
How to get a Postpaid SIM?
If you want a new postpaid SIM Card you can submit a request at the retail store. The following documents are required for getting a new SIM.
- Proof of Identification (POI)
- Proof of Address (POA)
- Aadhaar Card
- Security Deposit (Amount varies based on the selectee plan)
You can use Aadhar as both Proof of Identification and Proof of Address. But, if you want to submit any other document as a POI and POA still you need to submit your Aadhaar details for linking with the new connection.
Upon submitting all the documents and selecting the suitable plan, the executive will provide a new SIM card to you. The SIM card will be activated within 48 Hours and you can start using your SIM.
Alternatively, the Telecom Service providers are providing Home delivery of SIM cards and picking of Documents for new customers. You can make use of this facility by submitting a request through the official website.
How to convert your Prepaid SIM into a Postpaid SIM?
If you are already using a Prepaid SIM and now want to convert your connection to a Postpaid connection, you can follow the following steps to migrate your Prepaid SIM to a Postpaid SIM.
Switching Within existing Network
If you are happy with your current service provider and want to switch to a new connection of the same network, follow the below steps.
- Visit the retail store of your service provider. And provide the required documents to the executive of the store and your current SIM will be converted to Postpaid connection or provided new SIM as per the policy of your service provider.
- You can also summit a request for migration through the official website/ Mobile Application of the service provider. The service provider will migrate your connection to the Postpaid.
Switching to a Postpaid SIM of Different Network
If you are using a prepaid SIM and want to switch to Postpaid connection, but you want a connection with the different service provider follow the below steps.
There might be a different reason for the switch from better coverage, better plan or for better service. Whatever the reason is you can easily switch to the new SIM with the following steps.
The process involves porting (Mobile Number Portability) your SIM to new service provider and selecting a Postpaid connection with the new service provider.
- Send SMS to 1900 in following format ‘ PORT <Space> 10 Digit Mobile Number ‘.
- You will receive the Unique Porting Code (UPC) SMS take it to the new service provider.
- Visit the retail store of your new service provider and submit the request along with the required documents provided by TRAI.
- Alternatively, you can make a request through official website by providing UPC and required information. Upon successful validation you will receive your SIM Card.
Thus, the telecom service providers are providing simple and convenient way to provide a migration to a new service.
If you can get a better service and better offering with the new option, you can switch over to the postpaid connection.
But, read the conditions and plan details carefully before subscribing to the service to avoid inconvenience in future.